Tuesday, April 22, 2008

So what IS Hypnotherapy?

I just wonder how many people have the idea that hypnosis is 'putting ideas into my head', and are probably scared that at any given time, they might suddenly start acting as an animal or being a baby, or doing the Funky Chicken up and down the street!!

I wanted to write this post to try and put your mind at rest in case you ever need to seek help with this amazing therapy. The only form of hypnosis I'd ever seen was Paul Mckenna on the TV making the audience act weirdly, so yes I was scared and had no idea of what to expect. It took a lot of courage to make the appointment and even more to actually turn up!

Well, hey, it was absolutely nothing like what I expected. You don't lie on a couch, no-one dangles a pendulum across your eyes and I could hear all the surrounding sounds the whole time. :)

I was sat in a comfy armchair, given a drink, a box of tissues, answered a few questions and had the whole thing explained before the session got going. I closed my eyes and followed the therapists instructions - stuff like counting down from 100, trying to visualise happy times and being reassured throughout that I wouldn't 'be asleep'. I heard all the other noises around, but was able to dismiss them, was aware of where I was the whole time, but at the same time, I could feel the tension slipping away from me. It was the most relaxing experience that I had managed in nearly 2 years.

Do this at night and I might just sleep all night!

Anyway, I did let go of some emotions and needed the tissues, and will need a few more sessions to enable me to conquer my problems once and for all. But I can see a light at the end of the tunnel now, am much, much happier with life in general and I'm learning to accept what I can't change.

For all you guys out there who might be intrigued by all this and are wondering if YOU could be helped, take a look at this You Tube Video. It was made by a guy named John Burns who has a Hypnotherapy Clinic in Somerset, and will give you a really clear idea of what you might experience. He has given me permission to use this here on my blog :)



Take care
Sue x

No comments: